In briefENGINEERING/DESIGN STUDIES/METHODS 2023-82136 2763 Plymouth, England Contractor (PAYE) Bachelor's degree
To ease reading, the plural masculine form may be used on this page; our vacancies are however directed to persons of all genders
Buildings Design Manager (Client Side)04/07/2023
NUVIA UK's Technical Services & Consulting department, are recruiting an experienced Buildings Design Manager. This is an embedded opportunity for a major infrastructure project, within the defence industry. We are recruiting on either a contract or permanent basis, inside IR35.
Location wise you have the opportunity to work on a remote basis, with some travel required to Devonport Dockyard in Plymouth. Alternatively we have existing team presence within our Birchwood Park office in Warrington, again with travel to the dockyard.
Please note the ability to obtain BPSS level security clearance is essential.
The Major Infrastructure Projects directorate provides major new or upgraded dock, berth and building infrastructure projects to provide facilities for the ship and submarine sustainment programmes. As a Buildings Design Manager you'll work with and manage a multi-disciplinary technical team to provide an overall capability.
Using your experience in facility upgrade or construction projects you will manage and review the design packages by subconsultants and work with users and other stakeholders to ensure that the integrated facility provides the required capability. You will use your Design Manager expertise to ensure the end product meets the technical and operational requirements of the facility.
Main Purpose of Role:
- As the Client-side Buildings Design Manager you will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of the buildings designs by the subconsultants.
- Ensuring systems are designed against a clear statement of compliance with defined requirements, including safety functional requirements and demonstration that the design meets relevant HSE requirements.
- Support the delivery of the work packages to the required scope, quality, schedule and cost.
- Management of the multidisciplinary design elements of the buildings, ensuring designer technical performance and making appropriate technical responses.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert advice.
- Provide Technical design guidance and review of the overall design packages including safety functional requirements as defined in the Safety Case.
- Provide Technical design guidance and review integration of the designs with other design packages.
- Ensure that the design documentation covers the scope of operations required by the Project Manager and is produced to agreed standards, schedule and budget.
- Plan for effective project implementation, identifying key factors and effectively contributing to the project’s technical planning process.
- Ensuring effective Quality Management Arrangements operate and deliver through compliance with Babcock’s Business Management System and Technical Manual.
- Ensure that the processes and activities being managed are appropriately documented with appropriate records maintained and configuration and quality controls applied.
- Ensure that staff and contractors are familiar with the hazards and risks associated with work undertaken.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Competences:
- Experience of Design and construction of major new industrial buildings with multifunctionality – workshops, storage, offices etc.
- It would be beneficial to have experience on high hazard facilities in the nuclear sector.
- This role reports to the 10 Dock Design & Safety Manager.
- A minimum of a Batchelor’s Degree in Architecture/Engineering.
- Preferred Chartered Architect/Engineer, registered with appropriate body.
Nuvia - a subsidiary of VINCI construction - is an international company that operates across highly regulated sectors including Civil Nuclear and has a strong presence and history of delivery at nuclear sites in the UK and internationally.
Nuvia is a performance-driven company that is committed to the development of its people within a culture of safety, innovation, and excellence.
Nuvia UK is committed towards equality in employment.
NUVIA is a branch of VINCI, the world's largest integrated concessions and construction group. NUVIA is more specifically the nuclear entity of the VINCI Group and is involved in the entire life cycle of nuclear facilities, from new build to decommissioning, maintenance and operation. NUVIA is constantly growing, with more than 2700 employees worldwide. On average, 100 men and women join us every year. Now, more than ever, we are looking for new talent to support the group's growth.